Saturday, November 25, 2006

Give your PC that Mac look and feel...


I've really been thinking of purchasing a Mac mini. For many years, I have used a PC and I'm a bit tired of it. Our local mall here has an Apple Store and I test drove a Mac mini for about 20-30 minutes. At first, I didn't like it, but the more I opened this program or that I did catch on a little bit. I cannot say that I will definitely buy a Mac, but I'm seriously considering one.

To help me with my decision, I decided to give my PC a Mac makeover. I downloaded StyleXP and Rocket Dock. Both apps help your PC look and function as a Mac. Style XP is a theme changer for Windows. It already comes with a Mac theme called Panther and when enable that theme, you get the familiar look of Mac OS. The reason I choose this app, Style XP, is two fold: 1) It has zero-footprint operation; meaning it won't hog my system memory, 2) it has excellent compatibility with any application. Style XP costs $19.95, but it does offer a 30 day trial.

Rocket Dock imitates the dock bar on the Mac. It seems to function just like it as far as I can tell. Adding or removing icons is a breeze. It has plenty of skins you can choose from that will help you give the dock a personal look and feel. The best part of this software is it is freeware and once again it doesn't consume a lot of memory as other dock like apps can.

We'll see how this test goes and see if these two apps will keep me content or if I will opt to buy a Mac. Whichever way I go, its nice to know I've got options.

0 comments: