Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Did you know? Batteries are ancient news.


In 1938, Wilhelm König discovered several artifacts in the village of Khuyut Rabbou'a near Baghdad , Iraq that were later determined to be a battery around 2000 years old.

I don't believe I had ever heard about the Baghdad Battery before I read this article from Answers in Genesis. After I read the article though, it did make me wonder what the folks did have in the form of electronics. Did some of them have Pocket Scrolls like a Pocket PC? Did they have cool light shows with their batteries? OK, maybe I'm going a bit crazy here! ;)

Yes, they didn't have DVD players and LCD screens, but you got to wonder why did they have batteries? Take some time to read the articles I linked to as the authors do propose some reasonable uses for these batteries. I do find it interesting as we talk about all our gadgets and advances in technology that assume that the ancients were not as smart as we are today. The more and more I learn about ancient times, the more I realize how wrong this view is.

0 comments: