Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tips for Scripture memorization

Over the years, my methods for memorizing Scripture have changed. As a child, I eagerly memorized the Word of God and enjoy every minute of it. Towards my teen years, memorizing Scripture was a chore or homework. In college, memorizing Scripture was part of a test or a quiz. Now, it's different. I want to memorize and be able to retain this for a lifetime. Not like college, not like a teenager, but more like I was as a child. Eager to memorize, eager to learn, and many of those verses never left my heart.

Today, I found a site with some tips on memorizing Scripture. As servants in the Lord's ministry, we must be memorizing Scripture so that we can defend ourselves from temptation and give a comforting word to another believer.

This website I found has a few chapters to it, so it is not some quick read. I myself have not yet finished reading the site, but I have picked up a few pointers and tips that should aid in my Scripture memorization. I know many people have their own techniques and if you would like to share please do so, as I'm sure others would appreciate any help and tips.

I know there are a couple Palm programs that allow you to use your PDA or Treo device as a tool to help you memorize Scripture. They are:

Scripture Memory System
This freeware application is based on the Topical Memory System designed by The Navigators. A desktop companion version that allows you to edit the verse database on your computer available for a separate purchase.

MyVerses
by Scott Hansen
A Scripture memory system for Palm OS 4.0 and higher devices with interactive tools, a learning counter, and a personal review schedule to help you regularly practice memory verses.

Memorize! for Palm
Designed to help you memorize scripture, including daily reminders to work on your memory verses. Also works with MyBible.

Lamp Light
A free Scripture memory coach for Palm OS handhelds. Uses a system of daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly reviews to help you remember all verses learned.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I noticed you've got a lot of Apple and iPhone posts: If you're looking for iPhone software to memorize scripture...I was too! So I built an App. It's called VersePack, and I thought you might like to give it a try!

John T Huss said...

For the iPhone and Android, try the Fighter Verses app. It's the best mobile app for bible memorization and still getting better.

http://www.fighterverses.com/product/iphone-ipad-app/