Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tackling spyware.


Spyware can really cause your internet experience to stink, slow down, and compromise your computer. Today, I spent some time working on a church member's computer that had acquired some nasty spyware. It took a couple hours for me to final rid the plagued PC from the spyware. I thought I'd share some of the tools that I used today and others I've used to eliminate spyware on my PC and others. Keep in mind one spyware tool usually doesn't get all the spyware on your PC. It's quite helpful to have two or three programs that you run to eliminate spyware.

Spyware Blaster - A program that doesn't scan for spyware but rather it helps prevent spyware from being installed in the first place.

Spybot Search and Destroy - This one does remove spyware and also can begin a scan before Windows is fully loading helping you to eliminate some of the tougher spyware out there.

AVG Anti-Spyware - From the makers of AVG Anti-Virus Free edition, comes this excellent freebie that eliminates spyware and works just as well as their virus protection software.

PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition 3.1
- CNET gives this spyware removal tool 4/5 stars.

Windows Defender - This is a Microsoft program, but I'm sure some folks may prefer to use a "name brand" application. If that's you, try this one.

All the applications I mentioned above are freeware. Some maybe a lite version of a paid program, but they can and will effectively remove spyware from your PC. So if you are having some issues with your PC and you think it might be spyware, try this apps out and you'll soon be back to safe happy surfing.

0 comments: