Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Keeping it simple, while being a gadget lover.


We, gadget lovers, can find it difficult to take our gadgets with us. I've tried carrying them in a bag with their necessary accessories and even adding some in my pockets. Still it was a burden to carry them around. So what should a gadget pastor do?

1. Limit your essential must haves gadgets - I've limited my must have gadgets that would go with me to work and when I travel. This way I won't be weighed down and worried about leaving gadgets behind.

2. Learn the essential gadgets - My iPod and my cellphone can also handle my calendar appointments. I can sync my iPod with Outlook or even possibly sync my iPod with Google Calendar if I can get the software to work right. I can do this and not have to lug around my PDA, cellphone, and iPod. (I know some of you are thinking get a smartphone!) You would do well to learn to use all the features of your gadgets before buying a new gadget. You old one might do the job and help save you from a plethora of gadgets and an empty wallet.

3. Lighten the load of accessories - that's right I've begun to back off the amount of accessories in my pockets and my bag that I carry around. I've eliminated most of my extra cables and other little accessories that I seldom use. I've been surprised as I've found these extra things weren't really necessary to begin with.

4. Leave the gadget bug behind - Saying this on the Gadget Pastor blog may not make sense or be somewhat hypocritical, but keep in mind that our time in the Lord's work is precious and many times gone too fast. As pastors, missionaries, evangelists, etc. we cannot allow ourselves to be drowned in our gadgets. Learning this one or that one, finding accessories for this one or that one, figuring out why this one is acting up, etc. it turns out to be a never ending ordeal which consumes much of our time. Make some time for you gadgets, but don't let them overtake that time you've set for them. Keep it simple with your gadgets and if it works don't buy another gadget. Keep the one you've got that you already know until it breaks!

0 comments: