Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Value of a Parent Staying Home with Kids, and Tips on How to Do It


This is a really good article from zenhabits and a must read. Having the mother stay home with their kids is not as popular as it use to be. For many reasons, the mother will go to work and the kids will go to daycare, school, etc. While I'm not saying it is wrong for a mother to work, I just believe that a mother at home can be very valuable to the family and especially the kids. It does mean sacrifice, but it is entirely possible for a mother to stay at home.

"Last week, I dropped my 3-year-old son Seth Isaiah and my 1-year-old daughter Noelle Cayce to daycare for the first time ever.

It broke my heart to leave them there.

Despite my fears and broken heart, both babies did very well their first day, didn’t cry, and actually seemed to enjoy the daycare.

But after 3+ years of my wife staying home with the babies, it is a strange phenomenon to leave them with people I barely know. My wife Eva just returned to work as a teacher, allowing her to finally get out of the house and back to her career, but also breaking her heart as well, as she is so used to being with the babies all day.

When my wife became pregnant with Seth, almost four years ago, we decided that it would be great for the baby if she could stay home and take care of him. It was something we both really wanted, so we looked at how we could accomplish it (more on that below). It wasn’t easy, as our finances were already tight, with four kids already in school, but we managed it.

0 comments: