Friday, June 29, 2007

I've got one.

Here is a post I made on Palm Addict today about my iPhone.

My first impressions of the iPhone

OK, it has been a very long time since I have written or contributed to Palm Addict and there is a reason. I lost interest in it and it's mainly because of the iPhone. When I first saw Steve Jobs demonstrate the iPhone, I could not believe how cool and amazingly well it worked. I began to read and read as much as I could about it. I had wanted to upgrade to a treo device, but the iPhone's coming, stopped me from purchasing a Treo device. My mobile device habits have changed much over the past year. I have relied less and less on my Lifedrive because of Google Calendar. My Macbook as enabled me to sync iCal with my cellphone and I only had to carry one device with me. So when June 29 neared, I knew the iPhone was the mobile device I needed and wanted. I arrived at our Apple store, in the mall, around 9am and left at 6:20pm. I would say that several hundred people were in line and I was number 12 in line.
My first impressions of the device is simply "WOW!" It's GUI is simply amazing and quite smart. It's taking a bit to get use to the keyboard and the onscreen touches as any brush or accidental contact with your finger counts as a tap. The shape of the iPhone is something I am not use to at all for putting a phone up to my ear. The display is bright, vibrant, and clear. Movies look beautiful on it and the music sounds great. The brightness is outstanding and makes my Lifedrive pale in comparison. The iPhone's intergration with my Macbook is wonderful as all my bookmarks, contacts, and calendar transfered over on the first sync with no problems and at no extra cost. It feels great in my hand and does not feel to light at all.
What I don't like is the non-replaceable battery. I've yet to have ample time to evaluate the battery life, but over the coming days I will do that. I've only have 7.27 GB of memory which is not a lot of memory for movies and music. The iPhone does not have a SD card slot or any other memory slot, so what I have I have. I'm not able to add 3rd party programs, yet. This is annoying, but as my mobile device usages have changed I do not need to worry at this time about that. I'm greatly worried about the screen and hope that I can get some sort of screen protecter for it soon (I think I saw some at the Apple store). The thing picks up finger prints quite easily and that is rather annoying.
Overall, I can simple say this is the best mobile device I have ever owned or seen in my life. It may not do all that I would like it to, but it is an amazing device and is quite easily an extension of my computer. People will find glitches and things to dislike, but what I see is a device that has raised the bar and made all other smartphones makers step up their products, which is definitely a good thing for all of us. As for Palm, I do believe they'd better hurry with Palm OS Linux, because if they do not, the iPhone will make their Garnet devices look like paper.

0 comments: