Saturday, June 16, 2007

Is not allowing 3rd party apps on the iPhone a good idea?

Apple has recently announced that they will allow web applications on the iPhone, but they have yet to open it up to applications specifically designed for the iPhone. In short, all your "applications" you will access them thru a web browser, Safari, and they will reside online in cyber-space. While this should assure a more stable iPhone, it has become a negative point for many detractors of the iPhone.

First off, I find myself asking how many applications do I really need? On my Palm Lifedrive, I must have a hundred or so applications on it. They range from hacks to enhancements to applications. In general, I only use the datebook, todo list, contact list, and occasionally I watch a video or play a game. I do from time to time read the Bible or a commentary on my Lifedrive. Overall, the basic applications are all I need. I think many people that use devices like Treos, Blackberries, etc. only use the basic applications in them. We, power users, tend to push the capabilities of our devices and have found them to be a more useful and powerful tool. Unless you are in a professional field (doctor, lawyer, sales, etc.), you probably don't use your device to its fullest potential. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this opinion.

Second, not having 3rd party apps can offer a stable device, perhaps more stable then a Treo device. Speaking from my Palm experience, I've had many resets, sometimes at inconvenient times. Grant it I have minimized them greatly on my Lifedrive by adding fixes and hacks to it. Still, a device that would not reset like a Treo or Lifedriv? Some would be quick to point out, a Palm device doesn't reset when you use the built-in apps. However, my Lifedrive would reset with no applications on it, which drove me nuts. Still, I want the ability to choose what I want on my device and I sure hope Apple will allow it, but I can understand that having a device that minimizes resets and troubles like that would be a real crowd pleaser to the masses. As the old adage says, "Keep it simple stupid."

Will a semi-open platform work? Short-term, yes I think it will. Long-term, no I don't think so. People will learn to use their devices and want to increase its usefulness, especially when they see other non-iPhone users editing documents, spreadsheets, reading Bibles, books, etc. People do want a device that can do more and Apple would do well to listen.

I am seriously considering the iPhone as my next cellphone. I believe it will be able to meet my mobile tech needs. It's definitely not a device for everyone, but for the less tech savvy it could prove to be a huge hit. If Apple allows 3rd party development, undoubtedly, more people will buy the device, in the meantime, we will have to wait for the reviews and the first adopters to report on it. I think the iPhone will be a hit and while its not for everybody, I think Apple is on the right track with this device.


0 comments: