Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Apple iPhone's compromise.


Yesterday, it was announced that software developers would be able to write applications for the iPhone that only Safari could open. That means Web 2.0 apps and AJAX apps. What does this really mean? We're not getting a device that would have 1,000s of applications for it like a Palm or Nokia device. I like to have the Bible on my handheld devices, but if I cannot do that with my iPhone or I have to go to a website to open the Bible, I'm not likely to get an iPhone. OK, so maybe that is going to far, but I would really think that Apple could do better here with 3rd party developers. I think the iPhone will be a great extension of your Mac or Windows computer, but think of it as a glorified datebook/cellphone/iPod. So that customizing of software on your iPhone will be limited at best. For a really good read on this, check out CNET's article "Apple opens iPhone to developers- kind of."

0 comments: