Thursday, January 11, 2007

Wow! What a week of news.


When I heard about the iPhone and saw the picture of it, I told my wife that is the cellphone I have been waiting for. I pulled out my PDA and started looking at Engadget's coverage of the Mac Keynote. Needless to say the iPhone will change the mobile phone market forever.
The reason I believe this is the current companies' designs have become stale. They lack innovation and creativity in their phones. While some may not like the iPhones data entry method or the virtual keyboard, it does offer something that is futuristic in its design. I do remember that Star Trek: The Next Generation used virtual buttons and as best as I can remember they had no actual buttons to press. You will no longer have to worry about buttons being loose falling off etc. (think Tungsten E's power button here) I think what Apple has really is a better design then what is available.
I'm concerned about a few things though. The battery is my first. The talk time for the iPhone is 5 hours which is quite comparable to a Treo device, but the iPhone's battery is not swappable. That means once you are out of battery juice, you are done. The iPhone does have two batteries in it, one for the phone and the other for the music, so maybe there will be a way to utilize the second battery. Another concern of mine is the inability to add other software and to develop software for the iPhone. Rumor has it that the iPhone's software is what you get is what you have. Now hopefully this will change by June, the release date of the iPhone, because I would love to have a couple Bibles installed on the iPhone.
One of my last concerns is will this kill Palm? I will say this: it surely doesn't help Palm stay alive. While the Treos definitely have advantages over the iPhone, the iPhone looks awesome. An iPhone next to a Treo makes the Treo look homely. Palm better put up this year or they will be shut up this year. Don't fret yet Palm users, this iPhone may be the push that Palm needs to be innovate in their next Treo design.
Whether or not I get this device will depend on the reviews that come over the next few months. I will say this, it does speak out to me. I'm very interested in this device and I am a cingulr customer. ;) We'll see...
I'll be talking about more of this past weeks news and other thoughts I've had, so stay tuned!

0 comments: