Friday, January 12, 2007

We need God's help to overcome our trials and temptations


This past week has given me lots of time to reflect. Much of my time has been laying on my bed trying to not think about my sore knee. I had lots of time to reflect and think. For the first couple days, I learned that as hard as I tried I could not move without the help of my wife lifting my right leg for me. I was dependent upon her because I couldn't do it myself, even though I tried as hard as I could. On my own, it proved painful and unprofitable. With the help of my wife, it was easier and I got my leg moved to where I wanted it to be.
I think a lot of us pastors, missionaries, evangelists, teachers, deacons, and other Christians serving in the ministry act this way when it comes to our trials and temptations. Instead of seeking God's help and His wisdom, we act on our own. We give it everything we have and yet we fail. Exhausted we come back to the Lord and ask why and He tells us, "You did it on your own. You didn't ask me to help."
God is always willing to help us, we just need to ask. Remember in the Bible when Joshua and the Israelites attacked the city of Ai and were defeated. They lost 36 men in that battle and they lost their confidence. The reason for their lost was God was not with them because Achan had taken of the accursed thing.
Folks, if you and I battle on our own, we will be met will sure defeat, but if we battle with God, we will win. This weekend make sure that when you face trials and temptations, don't make a move without seeking out God and His help. We google our PDA, PC, Mac issues all the time. Why can't we pray to God when we need help?

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?"
Romans 8:31

0 comments: