Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My scare for the day!


After coming home from my post-op appointment today, I wanted to work on a couple documents. When I opened the My Documents folder, none of my documents where there. All my folders that I had organized were gone. I looked in the recycle bin and search for them, but could not find them. At this point, my hands were quite sweaty and I thought I'd lost them all for good. I then remember that my Lifedrive syncs with my documents folder. Thankfully, my Lifedrive had all my documents that I had lost on my PC on my Lifedrive. I was able to restore them from my Lifedrive. After completing this task I restarted my computer and had three serious errors reported upon my return to Windows.

Had I not been able to recover this folder, I would have lost all of my financial records, documents from church stuff to personal stuff and posts I've been working on for Palm Addicts and for The Gadget Pastor. Not good at all. It's just another thing pushing me to a Mac computer. I'm sure Macs have their issues as well, but I've been having too many problems with this PC setup and Vista isn't impressing me at all.

Why this loss happened I don't know? I had worked on some documents on my PC yesterday and everything was fine, however today they were gone and errors abounded. I'll probably never figure out what went wrong, but I did begin using the Windows XP backup program to backup the My Documents folder. I would highly suggest anybody with important files like a My Documents folder to back it up. I have two hard drives in my PC and one of them is strictly for backing files to. I have all of our pictures store there and now I'm adding the My Documents folder.

If you are looking for an easy guide to backing up files using the Windows Backup utility, take a look at this article, "Windows XP Backup Made Easy." It will make it easier for you to set your backups automatically. I wouldn't wait to do this later, but do it now as you don't want to have the unfortunate happen and be without a backup. Keep in mind this would be a good idea to do at home or at your ministry.

If you now of other backup programs (shareware, freeware, etc.) that you would like to suggest please use the comments like below to share that program with others.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A commercial program which I highly recommend is Acronis True Image. Version 10 has just come out, but version 9 is what I've been using and it's still available. It's much more reliable than the windows program and will even image your system so it can be quickly restored to a known working condition.