Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sunbird: Calendar Application for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X


Most people are aware of Mozilla's FireFox web browser and Thunderbird email application. Mozilla does have some other offerings and one of those I wanted to mention is Sunbird. Sunbird is a standalone desktop client somewhat similar to Microsoft Outlook. Sunbird does have some limitations as it has yet to see a 1.0 release, but if you are looking for an application that can keep your data on your PC or laptop and you need it for free, Sunbird could be the way for you to go.

I was able to sync my Google calendar by adding the ical address to Sunbird and using Sunbird's remote calendar function. I think I would have to manually reload the calendar if I want to update Sunbird. It doesn't look like there would be a auto feature for this. You can also have multiple calendars which would be a great way to keep your family events and church events separated.

You might be wondering why use Sunbird? I think it would be quite useful if you did not have a constant internet access on a computer. Maybe you use dailup at home or work or at your church. You would be able to backup your calendar information to Sunbird incase you cannot access Gcal or you lose data in Gcal. Overall, it's a nice app and I'm sure it could prove to be quite useful once it reaches version 1.0.

0 comments: