Saturday, December 09, 2006

From CNN: Poll: Teens, adults separated by 'IM gap'

OK, you may not be a huge CNN fan, but I thought this article was interesting none the less. As a youth pastor, I try to stay aware of the things my teenagers are interested in. I do my best to stay informed and help them make decisions that would be honoring to God. The article expresses that some adults just don't understand instant messaging. I myself don't IM many people at all. While I see my teenagers IM-ing their friends, I don't use this feature of technology. However, it's still important for us pastors and youth pastors to be aware of the technology around us. If we can't adapt, we may miss helping and teaching those around us.

"Teenager Michelle Rome can't imagine life without instant messaging. Baby boomer Steve Wilson doesn't care that it even exists.

They're part of an "instant messaging gap" between teens and adults. And the division is wide, says an AP-AOL survey on how Americans use or snub those Internet bursts of gossip, happy date-making and teen tragedies that young people exchange by the hour while supposedly doing homework."

READ MORE

0 comments: